Saturday, July 3, 2010

Laundry Soap Follow-Up

Laundry detergent. (I have a front load washer but this works for top loads also, you just use 2 TBS instead of the 1 TBS for front loads)
(This is a powder detergent, if you want liquid then check the Internet for that one)

Grate 1 bar Fels-Naptha (you can use any bar soap you wish. I use 1 1/2 bars Ivory bar soap and I chop it up with a knife then put it in my food processor)
2/3 c Arm & hammer WASHING SODA
2/3 c Borax

In your food processor process the soap until very fine. You will want to cover the food processor with a damp dish towel because of the powders that fly.
Then add the WASHING SODA and Borax. Process until well mixed.

Put it in a air tight container and use 1 TBS per load.


Liquid Fabric Softener

2 c hair conditioner (any brand and type will work, cheap is what I use and I check the smell too :)
3 c white vinegar
6 c water

Mix and pour in an old fabric softener bottle, (I usually keep mine in an old milk jug.
Use as you would store bought fabric softener

Dryer sheets #1

In a small spray bottle combine:
1/3 c liquid fabric softener
2/3 c water

spritz on an old wash cloth and toss in the dryer with clothes. You can use the cloth 4-5 times spritzing it each time and then throw it in the washer along with towels to clean any build up and then use in the dryer again.
(great way to recycle and you don't have to throw away the dryer sheet)

Dryer sheets #2

dip coffee filters in liquid fabric softener and hang to dry. Use one at a time in the dryer like store bought dryer sheets. You can reuse each one a couple of times.

General stain remover
In a spray bottle combine 1 part rubbing alcohol to 2 parts water:
( This works like store bought stain remover)

Beverage, Fruit and Grass remover

In a spay bottle combine 1 part white vinegar, 1 part liquid dishwashing soap & 1 part water
Shake well and work the solution into the spot. Let stand a few minutes then launder as usual.


Non-oily Stain remover

In a spay bottle combine 1 part ammonia, 1 part liquid dishwashing soap & 1 part water.
Shake well, and work the solution into the spot. Let stand a few minutes and flush with water.
This solution works well on stains such as milk, blood, perspiration and urine.
Do Not use on washable wool, silk, spandex, acrylic and acetate

I label all the spray bottles and put the ingredients and instructions on the bottles. I've been using the stain removers for over 2 years and love them! The laundry detergent I started using a year ago and love it as well. The fabric softener I started using a couple of months ago and you guessed it... I love it too. I've used both dryer sheet methods for about 2+ years and love them as well.

These all work as well as store bought ones, but they cost A LOT less. The detergent ends up being about .03-.10 cents per load. Depending on what soap you use. The Internet will tell you how much it usually costs.
I bought some White Rain Hair Conditioner (18 fluid ounces with bonus 33% more) for .50 cents at Win Co Foods in Murray. I think their regular price is .75 cents. I believe you can also use coupons there, so that makes it even cheaper, maybe even FREE!!!!!

I can only find the Washing Soda at Macey's Grocery store. The Borax you can find in the laundry isle at most stores.

Also the web site that I got the detergent recipe for said you can even use up those bars of soap that you accumulate from hotels :) Just use about as much as a bar of naptha soap.

If you don't like these that's fine, I just know they've all worked wonders for me and I have rough boys here at home still.

No comments:

Post a Comment